Sunday, March 15, 2015

Run to Get Lucky

Yesterday was just the BEST!  Lindsay and I ran such a super fun and fast course in Corvallis called "Run to get lucky".


The day started warm but rainy...and it stayed that way the whole day.  The race started in the afternoon, I've always started in the morning so this was an interesting change for me.  All in all, I just loved the whole run!  It's a fast course on a bike trail with some rolling hills to it.  I started out way faster than I ever have because Lindsay is super fast (and young) and I kept my heart rate much faster than I intended the whole way around.  I also love the fact it was up and back so I got to see Lindsay as she headed back towards the finish line.  Next time I'll be ready with my phone to take a pic!  Lastly, when I got to the last "hill", I power walked like I had been practicing and actually picked up my pace all the while getting my heart rate under control.  When the course flattened out, I was able to run again and finish strong with a PR though just 15 seconds faster than my best time.

Here is what I learned.

1) 5Ks are very much about pushing the management.  I ran much longer with my heart rate about 150 and even more minutes above 160 than I ever have in a race.  When I got above 175 I walked and that was a new tactic for me....one I have been practicing as all I've read says I need to train my fast walking muscles too. I'm a little sore today but not bad....my right hip is still giving me issues.
2)I've lost a little conditioning.  I've got a plan and am beginning to put the little details into place.
3) I'm going to do more 5K's and work on time...I'll add is some 10K's too.  The little races scare me with the longer distances because I really don't want to be last but that is something I need to work out in me.

As spring begins to make it's appearance here in the valley, it feels good to get back out and run with people.  I drove Lindsay around and showed her some of the cool running places in the Corvallis area.  I think I'll start heading down there and running those paths and trails adding back the miles for the long runs.

Seize the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment